Legislative priorities for 2021
Click here to download PDF of information sheet to share
For questions related to current and up-coming legislation, contact Katie Page, CNM, VA ACNM President, 434-944-6937 Nichole Wardlaw, CNM, Affiliate Legislative Chair, 843-860-6971 or Julianne Condrey, Affiliate Legislative Liaison
- Click here for a great video on Midwifery Advocacy. It was made by the lobbyist for our sisters in the Virginia Midwives Alliance and has helpful information for ALL Virginia Midwives!
- Contact your national legislators to co-sponsor and support legislation!
Resources to Advocate for Midwifery-Led Care
- ACNM Position Statement on Independent Midwifery Practice Independent should not be interpreted to mean alone and the goal of collaboration is to share in care within each professional's scope of practice.
- ACOG Collaboration in Practice: Implementing Team Based Care Toolkit is a resource created by the task force on collaborative practice and was endorsed by ACNM, AAFP, AAPA, AANP, AWHONN, ACOOG, ACP and others that gives guidance on how to facilitate team-based care in various settings, institutions, and states. It explicitly discusses the need to remove state practice barriers to independent practice .
- ACOG Joint Statement on Practice Relations Between OBGYNs and CNMs/CMs is a joint statement by ACOG and ACNM that affirms that CNMs/CMs are experts in our field and are educated, trained, and licensed independent providers who collaborate based on the needs of the patient.
- AWHONN Position Statement on Midwifery Practice affirms that CNMs and CMs collaborate with appropriate health care professionals and refer women or newborns to specialists as may be needed for care beyond the midwife's scope of practice.
- HHS Released their Action Plan to Improve Maternal Health. This plan specifically includes reducing barriers to full-practice authority in all states and includes funding for midwifery education and guidance for reimbursement for midwifery care under CMS. Information from ACNM on this initiative can be found here.
- ACNM Advocacy Links
- Cost of Having a Baby Report provides compelling financial evidence for the need to support midwifery-led care as a significant catalyst of economic stewardship of health care spending.
- March of Dimes (Preterm Birth report card)
- AWHONN Perinatal Quality Measures Process The actions of nurses have a significant impact on patient outcomes; therefore, a vital component of improving health care is to measure the quality of nursing care. This resource links to Women's Health and Perinatal Nursing Care Quality (NCQ) measures by The Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN).
- Nursing Quality Measurement (AWHONN) Link to PDF download of AWHONN's position statement on nurse-sensitive quality. These are currently the recommended perinatal quality indicators proposed for adoption by the National Quality Forum Perinatal Measures.
- Quality Patient Care in Labor and Delivery: A Call to Action Link to the PDF white paper developed by SMFM, ACOG, ACOOG, AAFP, ACNM, AAP, and AWHONN supporting normal physiologic birth and patient-centered care.
- Transforming Communication and Safety Culture in Intrapartum Care: A Multi-Organization Blueprint Link to PDF download from the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health.
- www.safehealthcareforeverywoma... Link to website developed by the Council on Patient Safety in Women's Health Care, who's mission is to continually improve patient safety in women’s health care through multidisciplinary collaboration that drives culture change.
- Click to view additional resources available in the Framework for Quality Improvement Resource Toolbox, or search our resource library by clicking here.