Joint Boards of Nursing and Medicine
CNMs and CMs are regulated by the Joint Boards of Nursing and Medicine. Meetings of the Joint Boards are open, at least in part, to the public. VA ACNM has an appointed representative to the Advisory Board. The Board meets once per quarter. Meeting dates, details, and link can be found here. If you have questions for our representative or legislative team, email [email protected]
June 16, 2021
October 13, 2021
December 8, 2021
Resources to Advocate for Midwifery-Led Care
Tools You Can Use
- ACNM Advocacy Links
- Click here to access links to Federal and State action related to hospital privileges for midwives and workforce diversity - two top priorities in 2021 for ACNM. Follow the links to send information to your federal representatives to support these initiatives!
- Maternal Health Bills Introduced in the 116th Congress (1/3/2019-1/3/2021). We anticipate to be supporting many of the bills in the 117th Congress. Follow along for more updates
Shout out for midwife attended births in your region! You can purchase or download "birth announcement" postcards to alert representatives of new constituents born in their districts - into the hands of a midwife.
- Communicating with Legislators: How to’s
- Click here to access our VA ACNM YouTube page for videos made specifically for you on advocating for midwifery care in VA and how to talk with your representatives (state and national!)
- Click here for a great video on Midwifery Advocacy. It was made by the lobbyist for our sisters in the Virginia Midwives Alliance and has helpful information for ALL Virginia Midwives!
Contact your national legislators to co-sponsor and support legislation!
What is Our Moment of Truth™?
Brought to you by the midwives of ACNM, Our Moment of Truth™ is an initiative to improve women’s health and maternity care in the United States by re-introducing midwives and midwifery care as important options that should be the norm for women’s health care services.
Resources from Our Moment of Truth™ can be shared freely with family, friends, and colleagues to help those you care about to discover their full range of options and help us create a new understanding of midwifery care in the United States.
The American College of Nurse-Midwives Healthy Birth Initiative™ has created several tools to support and promote the value of healthy, spontaneous labor and birth. They are:
For women: Normal, Healthy Childbirth for Women & Families: What You Need to Know is a free handout that explains what parents and their babies can expect from a normal, healthy birth and what they can do to maximize their chances of having a healthy, physiologic birth while minimizing their chances of experiencing unnecessary medical interventions during childbirth. Available in both ENGLISH and SPANISH language versions.
For maternity care providers: BirthTOOLS.org, which stands for Tools for Optimizing the Outcomes of Labor Safely, is an interactive online toolkit that presents the evidence and offers targeted resources, protocols, and other materials to assist clinicians and health care systems in implementing best practices that promote physiologic birth. Click to download a handy 2 page PDF handout that can be shared with others to introduce them to the BirthTOOLS.org website and its resources. There are also resources and support for midwives contributing to quality improvement work in their practice or institution. ACNM Bundles included on BirthTOOLS:
- Focus on Physiologic Birth
- Shared-decision making
- Promoting Spontaneous Onset of Labor
- Promoting Progress in Labor
- Promoting Comfort and Coping in Labor
- Assessment of Fetal Well-Being
- Dyad Care in the Immediate Postpartum Period
- Unit Culture that Promotes Care Approaches to Support Physiologic Birth