- Central Region
- Northern VA Regional Resources
- Richmond Region Resources
- Southwest Region Resources
- Tidewater Region Resources
Tools You Can Use
What is Our Moment of Truth™?
Brought to you by the midwives of ACNM, Our Moment of Truth™ is an initiative to improve women’s health and maternity care in the United States by re-introducing midwives and midwifery care as important options that should be the norm for women’s health care services.
Resources from Our Moment of Truth™ can be shared freely with family, friends, and colleagues to help those you care about discover their full range of options and help us create a new understanding of midwifery care in the United States.
The American College of Nurse-Midwives Healthy Birth Initiative™ has created several tools to support and promote the value of healthy, spontaneous labor and birth. They are:
For women: Normal, Healthy Childbirth for Women & Families: What You Need to Know is a free handout that explains what parents and their babies can expect from a normal, healthy birth and what they can do to maximize their chances of having a healthy, physiologic birth while minimizing their chances of experiencing unnecessary medical interventions during childbirth. Available in both ENGLISH and SPANISH language versions.
For maternity care providers: BirthTOOLS.org, which stands for Tools for Optimizing the Outcomes of Labor Safely, is an interactive online toolkit that presents the evidence and offers targeted resources, protocols, and other materials to assist clinicians and health care systems in implementing best practices that promote physiologic birth. Click to download a handy 2 page PDF handout that can be shared with others to introduce them to the BirthTOOLS.org website and its resources.
For hospital policymakers, payers and other organizations: Birth Matters is a handout for quality administrators that explains how implementing an evidence-based strategy focused on physiologic birth increases the well-being of families and prevents rare, adverse outcomes for hospital systems.
¨ S 628/HR 1209 "Improving Access to Maternity Care Act of 2015” - This bill designates and will require review of these areas annually. A fact sheet from ACNM to share with your legislator can be found here. No Virginia Senators are currently co-sponsoring this Senate bill, and only Rep. BarÂbara Comstock (VA-10) is co-sponsoring the House bill.
¨ Maternity Providers Education Act of 2015 would require medicare to make payments to teaching CNMs for services of medical interns and residents and midwifery students in the sameway physicians are currently paid for overseeing these students. The bill will also allow HRSA grants to be used to support clinical education for advanced practice nursÂes.
¨ S 466/HR 4695, “Quality Care for Moms and Babies Act.” was originally introduced in 2013 and directs the DeÂpartment of Health and Human Services to review quality measures related to the care of childbearing women and newÂborns, particularly with respect to identifying omissions and deficiencies in the application of these measures under MediÂcaid and CHIP programs.
- Click here for a great video on Midwifery Advocacy. It was made by the lobbyist for our sisters in the Virginia Midwives Alliance and has helpful information for ALL Virginia Midwives!
- Contact your national legislators to co-sponsor and support legislation!
- ACNM Advocacy Links
- Cost of Having a Baby Report provides compelling financial evidence for the need to support midwifery-led care as a significant catalyst of economic stewardship of health care spending.
- March of Dimes (Preterm Birth report card)
- AWHONN Perinatal Quality Measures Process The actions of nurses have a significant impact on patient outcomes; therefore, a vital component of improving health care is to measure the quality of nursing care. This resource links to Women's Health and Perinatal Nursing Care Quality (NCQ) measures by The Association of Women's Health, Obstetric and Neonatal Nurses (AWHONN).
- Nursing Quality Measurement (AWHONN) Link to PDF download of AWHONN's position statement on nurse-sensitive quality. These are currently the recommended perinatal quality indicators proposed for adoption by the National Quality Forum Perinatal Measures.
- Quality Patient Care in Labor and Delivery: A Call to Action Link to the PDF white paper developed by SMFM, ACOG, ACOOG, AAFP, ACNM, AAP, and AWHONN supporting normal physiologic birth and patient-centered care.
- Transforming Communication and Safety Culture in Intrapartum Care: A Multi-Organization Blueprint Link to PDF download from the Journal of Midwifery and Women's Health.
- www.safehealthcareforeverywoman.org Link to website developed by the Council on Patient Safety in Women's Health Care, who's mission is to continually improve patient safety in women’s health care through multidisciplinary collaboration that drives culture change.
- Click to view additional resources available in the Framework for Quality Improvement Resource Toolbox, or search our resource library by clicking here.